What is Website Maintenance
Definition of Website:
- Website is a collection of publicly accessible, interlinked web pages. These pages share a single domain name.
- Maintenance task is performed by an individual, group, business or organization. It also serves a variety of purposes.
- Web presence is also the name of website.
- As websites may be of different types-
- For example, educational sites, news sites, porn sites, forums, social media sites, e-commerce sites, and so on.
What Is Website Maintenance?
- Usually, website maintenance is the task of checking website on regular basis for issues and mistakes and keeping it updated.
- So, performed it, on a consistent basis in order to keep your website healthy.
- It is also important to keep a website well maintained and attractive. It helps to retain customers.
- Regular monitoring of website is also essential for keeping your business running smoothly.
Purpose of Website:
There are different- different purposes to design the website.
The purpose of website may include providing practical information, for entertainment etc.
1. Purpose of Informative / Information Website:
Basically, the purpose of an information centric website is to convey specific, helpful information to a specific user/audience.
Through this, reader may learn something new or understands a topic better.
2. The Purpose of Entertainment Websites:
Usually, these websites shows entertaining information like celebrity news, sports, movies, arts, humorous websites, etc.
3. The Purpose of E-Commerce Websites:
Basically the purpose of e-commerce website is to sell products to users.
So, to achieve success, e-commerce websites need to integrate all of the latest online closing & upsell techniques.
These techniques also increase the chances of purchase.
4. The Purpose of Social Media Websites:
The purpose of social media websites is to make it very easy to share and connect with friends, family, co-workers, acquaintances and even strangers.
Social media websites also make quick and easy work out of building up a network of connections.
As it helps to keep in touch, share daily experiences, photos, interests, preferences, etc.
Though, Businesses use social networks to build direct connections with their customer.
So, this connection allows them to get feedback on their products and services.
It also helps to learn more about what their customers really need and want.
Steps in Website Maintenance:
1. To be done weekly:
- Check that all of your pages are loading without errors
- Keep a backup of your site
- Update the software and plugins
- Check that all of your forms are running properly
- Check your pages to see any broken links
- Search for 404 errors and fix or redirect
2. To be done monthly:
- Check load speed of your website monthly basis.
- Need to analyze website statistics from the previous month
- Review your blog to check if there are any articles that could be updated
3. To be done quarterly:
- Review your website design and structure – can be it improved?
- Check graphics and images
- Check SEO, meta titles and descriptions to ensure they are as effective as possible
- Test and tweak popups, forms, and calls to action
- Review your workload for efficiencies to see if anything can be automated
- Test your website to see if it displays correctly
- Check advertising and marketing campaigns to see if anything needs to be changed or updated.
4. To be done yearly:
- Update any reference to the current year
- Review each page for content accuracy & grammar
- Check email addresses and see if any are excessive and can be delete
- Check whether a website design update is due